How to make – Large, faux CHRISTMAS CANDY Decorations
Written by on Wednesday, November 21st, 2012

Every year, pool owners purchase these inexpensive (apx. $1.00 each) 5-foot, foam “noodle” floats.  Eventually, they fade and are, many times, thrown out.

As always, I LOVE to think of ways to recycle and repurpose things (instead of adding to the landfill) and came up with a creative idea, using  retired pool noodles.  Of course, you can also buy them new (on clearance – post summer!) to make this project too.

My vision was to create several large, faux candies (for holiday decorating), mainly because they’re lightweight and won’t weigh down (tree, wreath & garland) greenery … PLUS, they’re inexpensive!

ONE

Begin by deciding approximately how long you would like to make each piece of candy (I chose 9″) and divide that number into the total length of the pool noodle to determine how many you’ll be able to cut from each one.  Mark (that individual measurement) along the length of the pool noodle (using a black marker) and then, carefully cut (using a knife) through the foam at each marking, on a safe surface.  I ended up with six (6) lengths, apx. 9″ each.

TWO

Choose a gift wrap, scrapbook or tissue paper to cover them with and cut pieces large enough to wrap each (cut) foam piece and wide enough so you have extra to fold down at each end of the foam piece (to hide the end of the foam).

To create a neat closure, fold over one end (of the length) and place one foam piece, in the center, at the other end.

Before you roll the foam piece up in the paper, add 3 pieces of double-sided tape along the length of the fold,

half on the folded paper and half on the underneath (blank) side of the paper.

Now, when you roll up the foam piece, the tape will automatically secure the paper (closed).

Unless you want to, don’t worry if the pattern doesn’t match up perfectly because that will be the “back side” of your ornament.

Fold down the paper on each end and use a piece of regular scotch tape to secure it.

THREE

Repeat the paper cutting process (above), but this time using clear, plastic basket wrap.  This time, however, make sure the length is even longer (by 6″).

Place your gift-wrapped foam length in the center of the plastic wrap, at one end of the width.  Before you roll it up, once again, add 3 small pieces of double-sided tape on the other end (of the width)

so the plastic wrap will automatically close, after rolling up the foam candy in it.

Also, try to line up the 2 closures (paper & plastic wrap) and that can be the back side of your ornament.

FOUR

Cut two (2) lengths of ribbon, using one to tie each end (of the plastic wrap) closed, displaying the bow on the front/top side of the ornament.

When you’re done, you’ll have inexpensive, lightweight Christmas candy decorations for approximately 50 cents each.  I found that mine tucked into my holiday greenery easily without the aid of a hanger.

But, if you’re using them to decorate garland, add a length of fishing line (tying it to each end, before adding your ribbon) as an ornament hanger.

Here’s a tutorial video of this project –

I’m excited to share with you how I used mine in one of The Seasonal Home 2012 Christmas designs this year…

kitchen_tree n left cab_s

If you’d like to enjoy my musical video featuring The Seasonal Home’s entire 2012 holiday decorated house….

turn up your speakers, fix a cup of cocoa and click on the links below to enjoy my short, most current musical tours

{P.S. I’ve also included our 2013 AND 2014 tours for your inspiration!  Want more?

You’ll find TONS of creativity on our YouTube channel… link located below the following videos}:

And don’t forget to:

check out ALL 18 of my FREE holiday videos (click HERE to view my YouTube channel)

and consider this creative DIY Candy idea for other holidays too!

s_all Candies

ENJOY THE CREATIVITY!

eileen_green

1. June says:

What a wonderful idea. The cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time :)

2. Katherine says:

I CANNOT wait to see your creativity for Christmas 2012! I am going to try my best to pull off your Christmas 2009 gingerbread tree; having a hard time finding peppermint swirls for the topper and popcorn/cranbury garland. My son says that I’m obsessed with your website. As much as I hate to admit it, he’s right! Love, love, LOVE your ideas! Thank you for sharing! Keep the pics coming! Happy Thanksgiving!

• Katherine says:

By the way, I meant cranberry, not cranbury! :) I ordered your DVD and hope to learn a lot from it!

• seasonalhome says:

That’s the nicest comment I think anyone has left me in a long time Katherine… thank you so much! :-) I am thrilled to know that you feel inspired by my creativity – I call that “mission accomplished”! 😀 And by the way, I found those metal peppermint swirl lollipops at Hobby Lobby… hope you find them or something similar.

3. Peggy Boyd says:

Love ’em! Helps me with one of the trees I am putting up for work!!!!

4. I have pined a few thousand pins, bought and download some sites.
    I have never wanted to say to someone, how amazing and talented you are!!!
    Thank you!
    Sherri

5. Roro B says:

Amazing site! I have used your site for holiday inspiration (especially Valentines and Christmas) for a few years. Last year my entire home was decorated with candy crafts that looked good enough to eat! From candy garland to candy Christmas tree to a multi-lollipop tree topper (u get the point lol), it was amazing and my little boys loved it! Thank you so much for all your inspiring ideas, you are truly blessed with an amazing gift. Thanks for sharing your gift with us :)

6. […] Yes, my crafty thoughts are turning toward the holidays. You too? Well this tutorial on how to make giant candy decorations out of a pool noodle is brilliant! So have fun with your pool noodle this summer and then turn it into a giant candy for a great Christmas decoration. Pop on over to the blog The Seasonal Home for the easy tutorial on how to make a giant candy. […]

7. Malissa says:

SOOO happy I found your site! We have all of the supplies on hand to start making these giant candies for our Whoville theme this Christmas. Thank you for sharing this fabulous and inexpensive idea!

8. […] Golf Tee Sculptures from Time for Play 14 – Pool Noodle Fairy Wand from Gummy Lump 15 – Faux Candy Decorations from The Seasonal Home 16 – Pool Noodle Water Wall from Teaching Mama 17 – Water Noodle […]

9. Frances Salazar says:

I just saw an Easter video where you made some bunnies from Styrofoam. How can I get the pattern for the bunny.

10. Lenore says:

this is great i’m going to make some for outside and also have my girl scouts make for their home

11. Christina brower says:

I was going to make these an put them out side for decorations. What can I use to keep them weather proof. Thank you for sharing these simple decorations. If u have anymore simple ones please post those as well.

Christina, the clear plastic should keep them dry, but be sure to close up any holes… maybe with a spot of glue… so the humidity cannot get in.